Jio ARPU likely to fall for seventh consecutive quarter: Infographic

Reliance Jio Infocomm’s average revenue per user (ARPU), a key performance metric, is likely to continue falling for the seventh successive quarter Reliance Jio Infocomm’s average revenue per user (ARPU), a key performance metric, is likely to continue falling for the seventh successive quarter as the Mukesh Ambani-led telco is still largely adding low-value customers, […]

Arqiva reaches agreement to sell its Telecoms division to Cellnex for £2.0bn

Transaction includes c.7,400 sites and the right to market c.900 sites spread across the UK Arqiva’s Telecoms division supports UK MNOs in delivering and extending nationwide mobile coverage, as well as the rollout out of 5G technology and small-cells Majority of sale proceeds to be used for debt reduction, strengthening Arqiva’s capital structure and further […]

Active infrastructure sharing to reduce capex, opex: Telecom regulator

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has recently sent out various references to the regulator, seeking its recommendations, to set the National Digital Communications Policy (NDCP) 2018 into action. NEW DELHI: The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) believes that increasing the scope of infrastructure providers, aimed at unbundling of infrastructure from services, would reduce capital […]

TIM and Vodafone confirm Italian tower deal

Telecom Italia (TIM) and Vodafone Italy have signed an agreement to combine their respective mobile tower networks within TIM’s INWIT tower division. Both firms will hold 37.5% stakes in the enlarged INWIT, which will control more than 22,000 tower sites. Following on from their signing of a 5G infrastructure partnership in February this year, TIM […]

Reliance Jio becomes India’s number one mobile operator

Less than three years after launching Reliance Jio has overtaken Vodafone Idea and Bharti Airtel to become India’s biggest MNO by subscriber. Jio announced it had hit 331 subscribers last week as part of its quarterly numbers announcement but, according to Ovum’s WCIS, that would still have left it just behind the recently combined Vodafone […]

Bimal Dayal to lead merged entity of Indus Towers, Bharti Infratel

NEW DELHI: Bharti Airtel Ltd and Vodafone Group Plc on Tuesday announced that Bimal Dayal, who is currently chief executive officer, Indus Towers and Hemant Ruia, currently chief financial officer, Indus Towers, will be appointed as CEO and CFO, respectively, of the merged entity of Indus Towers and Bharti Infratel. Dayal, who had joined Indus […]

Axiata, Telenor talk massive merger

Telenor and Axiata Group opened talks about a potential non-cash merger of their telecom and infrastructure assets in Asia, in which the Norway-based operator would take a majority stake. Based on equity value, Telenor would own 56.5 per cent of the merged company, with Malaysia-headquartered Axiata taking the remaining 43.5 per cent. In separate statements, […]

Reliance Jio overtakes Airtel to become India’s No.2 telecom

Nearly two-and-a-half years after launching mobile phone services, Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio has overtaken Bharti Airtel’s subscriber base to emerge as the second-largest telecom company in the country. Jio, which has a customer base of 30.6 crore, now trails only Vodafone-Idea. Airtel has 28.4 crore subscribers while Vodafone-Idea had announced that it had 38.7 crore […]

Bharti Airtel to sell off stake in Infratel

Airtel will reduce its stake in the towers business, in order to free up cash for its 5G network rollout Indian mobile network operator, Bharti Airtel, is to lower its stake in towers firm, Bharti Infratel, downgrading its stock holding from 50.33 per cent to just 18.33 per cent. Markets reacted positively to the news, […]

Airtel, Vodafone-Idea fibre JV a business opportunity for PE funds

The firms would want to demerge their fibre assets and give it to a third company, making their balance sheets lighter and providing an annuity stream for investors. Bharti Airtel’s decision to partner Vodafone Idea has come as a business opportunity for private equity funds keen on investing in the optical fibre space for leasing […]